Aims of the Department
The following aims relate directly to the aims of Belfast High School and show our contributions towards their achievement.
1. to stimulate student curiosity, interest and enjoyment in Geography.
2. to cultivate a sense of location, a knowledge of places and respect for differing cultures.
3. to develop an understanding of both physical and human processes that effect spatial decisions and comprehension of the terminology specific to the subject.
4. to develop an understanding and appreciation of the human and physical dimensions of the environment, and environmental links, at varying scales from local to global.
5. to enable students to perceive geography in the context of a wider body of knowledge, vocabulary and skills.
6. to encourage open inquiring minds that are aware of contemporary issues, to encourage the development of informed opinions and support of such opinions with reasoned arguments.
7. to enable students to develop a range of desirable personal qualities such as politeness, perseverance, initiative and independence.
8. to enable students to be able to work both independently and co-operatively.